Thing 46 - Breakout Edu

I love solving puzzles!
I had a chance to participate in 2 different demos of Breakout Edu last year but other than seeing the problems in a large group setting on the first one and totally enjoying the second experience, I didn't have a chance to go much further than talking about how I would love to do one on my own.


This year the school district offered a kit to borrow so I became more serious, but I decided that rather than waiting to borrow one, I could probably put together one on my own. I did this piecemeal and now I have a complete kit and more (several boxes - several locks  etc.)


I then went on to the website and picked a few games to check out. I downloaded the info and read through the directions but again due to lack of time and some questions about the actual pieces involved I didn't get much further.


Thanks to your inclusion of this topic in the Cool Tools listing, I decided that now was the time I would fully investigate the process and create a game!


The initial ones that I looked were a little complicated (both in solving level and number of pieces to put together) so I went back on the site and found one that looked doable.


It was based on the story - If you take a Mouse to School by Laura Numeroff. I printed off the directions, watched a video setup explanation, printed off the clues and thought I was all set. The one piece that I had a problem with was a creation of a digital lock - it was part of the directions but I soon found out that the app to do that was something that required paid access through the platform at breakout edu. I had tried out the links that you provided in the cool tools write up and I even used them with my students separately from the breakout kit. The students had fun solving these on the smartboard and opening the "digital" locks.


I decided to bite the bullet and purchase access to the platform that included all of the subject packs, access to digital locks, and access to the ability to create a digital lock.


Then we put together the whole "Mouse" breakout edu and are ready to test it on students.


Once we have accomplished that, I will try out some of the other ones I printed earlier that were a little more complicated.


I also have some ideas for digital locks that are separate from the breakout edu game.


As always, games and learning are a great combination (get it?!)







Comments

  1. "great combination" lol! :) Sounds like you had fun pulling this all together. I'm impressed that you found all the bits and pieces to create your own kit! Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 14 - Digital EBook Creation

Thing 37: Green Screen Fun

Thing 24-Digital Tattoo and Digital Citizenship